Friday, August 7, 2009

Wetlands by Charlotte Roche

I like to read on my lunch break. I hunker down outside on the grass, or in a chair in the staff room, eat, and enjoy a book. "Wetlands" proved to be a problem to this routine.

Explicit. Before the second page, we know that 18-year-old narrator Helen, has terrible hemorrhoids, but has still enjoyed a fulfilling anal sex life. From there on, we're taken into a world of pubic hair shaving, creative masturbation, home-made menstruation devices, and vaginal secretions. 

Now I'm certainly no prude, but this is shock for shock's sake. Admittedly, I read the whole thing, but it was just to see what levels of perversity Helen would achieve. The writing isn't particularly spectacular, the only thing that could save this book, and I felt in the end, that I had wasted a couple hours of my life. Thumbs down Ms. Roche.

No comments: